ocba - [ocba] Moving a Hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mike johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Moving a Hive
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:52:55 -0400

I have three hives. One hive, my original, is roughly 70' away from the
other two. I would like to move the hive closer to the other two to be more
in the sun. I can see a big difference in how much more activity there is at
the hives with more sun.

I know you can only move the hive so far per day. How far can you move it?

Can the height of the entrance vary a bit during the move or does it need to
say exactly the same height?

The hive is an 8 frame with a brood box and four medium bodies. It is
sitting on a nice stand built out of 4x4s. Physically how do you move the
hive with so much weight?

Is it too late in the year for such an undertaking?

Thank you in advance!

mike