ocba - Re: [ocba] Fwd: New hive struggling (North Carrboro)

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Randy Dodd <dodd.randy AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fwd: New hive struggling (North Carrboro)
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 09:37:27 -0400

Morning Randy,

This is the perfect example of why we suggest to newbies to get 2 hives. You have something to compare. With just 1 package, say the weaker you'd just think bees take a long time to build up. Great job reminding folks why 2-4 hives are important.

This single larger cell...was it in the middle to top area of the frame? (Google supercedure cells). Queen cells will end up looking like a peanut shell, both in size and texture. With weak or poorly mated queens in new packages it's normal for them to try and replace her. Sounds like its a good thing.

What to do?
1. Here is the tricky part that comes with lots of opinions. You can verify its a queen cell and if so just let it play itself out. Sounds like they are on the job.

2. You can also take a frame from the stronger hive with mixed brood and put in the weaker hive. We call this equalizing our hives. It's a good strategy for the weaker hive, not do important for now but mid summer when they are still behind and placed beside a big thriving hive they'd be more susceptible to robbing.

I'd equalize if it were in my yard. This is year one for the hives and you want/need this year to be about them. They need a boost in numbers soon.

Laying workers: if you can not spot a queen you'll never see a laying worker do just look for irregular egg pattern and multiple eggs per cell. Lastly all the cells will be larger or elongated like a pencil eraser. These are drones ...unfertal used eggs.

You can message me personally if you need eyes on it. I'll be in Carrboro today from 1-4 at the market. You can swing by there. I'll have an observation hive and we can talk more.

Good luck
Marty

Sent from my iPhone