ocba - [ocba] New raid on smuggled China honey

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] New raid on smuggled China honey
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:06:45 -0500

Hey All

It seems that these folks didn't learn from the huge honey laundering scheme back in 2008! " The offence involved Chinese honey either being mis-declared as another commodity or trans-shipped through other countries such as India, Russia and Thailand to avoid trade duties.'

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/world/16196772/in-sting-us-catches-china-with-fingers-in-honey-jar/

What is equally troubling is the ignorant statement by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) deputy director Daniel Ragsdale! "Ragsdale was quick to insist there was "no health and safety risk" despite some of the 4,900 barrels of seized honey being adulterated with antibiotics not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration."

Really? NO health risk? No safety issue for humans or BEES? Really? Yet he goes on to say the 4,900 barrels (i'm sure 55 gallon drums) were "adulterated with antibiotics not approved by USFDA" !!  Sure am glad I know where my honey comes from.

Hopefully this will help to deter other in the future, but my how serious the folks on capital hill seem to be taking it i'm sure those smugglers are real intimidated. Now the big question is and where the story comes up short...where are those 4,900 barrels of adulterated (contaminated) non FDA approved going????

eek!
happy beekeeping
Marty