ocba - Re: [ocba] dear abbee

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] dear abbee
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:46:01 -0500

Dear Concerned Bee Parent,

First the good news. Your hive is growing! The queen is laying and the workers are raising lots of brood!

Now the bad news (sort of). They are growing a bit too fast. When we got a very cold night, after so many not-so-cold ones, the bee cluster contracted to keep warm and the larvae/pupae around the edges didn't have enough worker bees covering them to keep them warm. So they froze to death. Oops. The workers have cleaned out the cells and dumped the corpses out the front door.  These things happen. It wasn't your fault! In a few more weeks the hive population will be a lot larger and the weather will be a lot warmer and this won't be so much of a concern any longer.

If you don't want them to go to waste and you are culinary-adventurous, check out chapter 8 of the UN's FAO book "Value Added Products from Beekeeping":
http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm

Randall