ocba - [ocba] Heartland Apicultural Society Summer Meeting

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Heartland Apicultural Society Summer Meeting
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:54:26 -0500

For those on a lifelong learning journey, you may want to check out the Heartland Apicultural Society (HAS) summer meeting this year. HAS is the equivalent of the Eastern Apicultural Society (EAS) and Western Apicultural Society (WAS) but HAS serves the middle states. It is much smaller and much newer than the EAS but its meetings are MUCH cheaper too.

I attended the 2008 HAS and was amazed at the caliber of the speakers, the intellectual depth of the classes and the wide diversity of the attendees. No offense intended, but based on my experience this is on a much higher plane than typical NCSBA meetings (although the upcoming NCSBA Spring Meeting looks close!).

The HAS moves around: last year it was in Indiana, the year I attended it was in northern Ohio. What makes the HAS particularly appealing this year is that it is relatively nearby, at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, TN, halfway between Knoxville and Nashville. The unfortunate news is that it overlaps with the NCSBA summer meeting, July 11-13. But if you have attended a bunch of NCSBA meetings and want to mix things up a bit, this is a great opportunity.

Info is here: http://www.heartlandbees.com

Randall Austin

  • [ocba] Heartland Apicultural Society Summer Meeting, Randall Austin, 01/22/2013