ocba - [ocba] Presentation Requests

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Rex L. Williams, Jr." <rexwilliams.03 AT gmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Presentation Requests
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:27:04 -0500

Hello Beekeepers,

We have a couple of requests for presentations in the beginning of February that I would like to tell you about.

Heritage Garden Club of Durham

Margaret McCotter from the Heritage Garden Club of Durham teaches children in Durham about gardening.  She has requested a presentation on general knowledge about honeybees and their role as pollinators for gardens.  She suggested that the desired presentation should focus largely on why bees are cool and not something to be upset about.

The target audience for this presentation will be children from Kindergarten through 6th grade.  This presentation is in Durham on Saturday, February 9th.

NC Museum of Life and Science

Trish Lemm from the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science is coordinating a program called “Science of Eats”.  The purpose of this event is to showcase growing, production, cooking, tasting, and perceiving of foods.  Trish would like one or more of our beekeepers to station a booth on beekeeping.  The idea is to host an informal discussion with attendees on backyard beekeeping, production of food items from the hive, and other foods in which hive products may be used.  She suggested that props and hands-on activities (ex. Having equipment for people to look at, etc.) are encouraged.  Additionally, she also suggested that, if possible, samples of local honey would be very appreciated.  Trish is going to get back to me on whether it will be alright to make local honey available for sale, but she seemed to suggest that it should be alright.

The audience for this event will be adults of legal drinking age.  The presentation is on Thursday, February 7th at the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham from 630-930pm.  They will be closing early that day to allow setup to begin at 430pm.

I hope some of you are willing and able to volunteer for one of these events.  Please let me know if either of them interests you and we can talk about the details and coordination some more.

Stay warm,

Rex Williams

OCBA, Director

979-218-8728

rexwilliams.03 AT gmail.com

  • [ocba] Presentation Requests, Rex L. Williams, Jr., 01/24/2013