ocba - [ocba] Die-off?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Die-off?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:04:56 -0400

Greetings all. First year, new beekeeper, two hives. I fed syrup for th e first few months and then the bees seemed to stop taking th syrup so I stopped. I noticed a month or so ago that previously capped honey was no longer capped, so I have been feeding syrup every other day since then (they drain about 1/2 gallon per hive every other day, sometimes they don't drain it all the way).

This morning I went out to feed and noticed there was no activity at all in the hives (and there were probably 100-200 dead bees at the entrances of both hives). I don't go into the hives during the week, but simply swap out Boardman-feeder jars. I knocked on the side of the hive to see if I could hear the cluster react, and they did react - I could hear the cluster buzz.

I know the last couple nights have been down in the 40s. So I am wondering, is this an example of die-off as the seasons change and the bees prepare for winter? Or is it possible the cold affected the bees somehow? Anyone else seeing similiar die-off over the past couple days?

--
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Helen Keller