ocba - [ocba] High SHB levels...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] High SHB levels...
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:16:27 -0400

I manage a few hives in southern Durham, and I went over there for the
first inspection in a while, and one of them had at least 100 SHB-
they were almost pooling under the top cover edges. I've never seen
anything like it...

I had a hive abscond from that location last month. I'm wondering now
if it was in part due to the high beetle levels...

Just thought I'd pass that on since several other folks had severe
beetle problems too. It must be really localized. I wonder why their
populations are really higher in some places? Any ideas what the
reproductive cycle looks like? There must be some really conducive
places around. I put out some nematodes around my hives at my house
http://southeasterninsectaries.com/
and the hive beetles haven't been bad at all here. Not sure if
they're related or not (nematodes and low SHB levels)...

Best,
Blair