ocba - Re: [ocba] uncapping methods?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com>
  • To: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] uncapping methods?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:26:00 -0400

That looks really easy! However, I don't mind the cappings on my filter
screen though - I let the bees clean it off, then I have nice virgin wax
for other uses. Also, I would probably never extract honey from those
frames he was using in the video. I have always waited until at least
75% of the cells are capped honey before extracting and it looked like
his were barely 30% capped.

Here's a fun video I made of the steps right before the uncapping and
extracting process :)

http://youtu.be/6iHz8BOdhLY

Jeff