ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Inside the hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Inside the hive
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:16:54 -0400

Hey everyone,

Here is picture i just took w/ my iphone INSIDE my top bar hive! I was checking back on this colony after noticing last friday that the number of bees had dropped. I had suspected swarm and now its confirmed. I could not ever see so much of the comb before, but now w/ 1/2 the colony gone here is what it looks like from inside the hive. If you look to the left you will see the new queen cell just a day or so away from emerging.

I really do like to have this hive on site to compare to my lang's. its just cool to see them build out and form the swarm cells in the same fashion. I was surprised to only see 3-4 other very small queen cells. there maybe others but i did not remove any frames w/ comb, but you can see the other cups that were started.

i'm sending a close up of the new huge queen cell in the next email.

cheers,
marty

  • [ocba] Fwd: Inside the hive, Marty Hanks, 06/20/2012