ocba - [ocba] Fwd: New queen cell

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: New queen cell
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:22:34 -0400

hey

ok here is the new huge queen cell in the Top Bar Hive. you can see the brood behind it and some nectar they are storing.

while in there i found 4 SHB being pinned down by the bees on the screen bottom so i was pleased w/ that.

 Now that there has been a break in the brood cycle i will wait another 2 days and then go and do a powered sugar treatment from below w/ my bellow. I can get it right under the frame and "puff" up powered sugar onto the comb from below. Now that the queens been gone several days and w/ the new emerging queen needing to get maited the delay will be great to wait for any varroa to emerge and be taken off when i treat. I'll follow up in 10 days w/ another application. This should help out greatly going into fall.

cheers,
marty

  • [ocba] Fwd: New queen cell, Marty Hanks, 06/20/2012