ocba - [ocba] newbee question: queen cell in a new hive?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Robyn Holmes <whatbirdsplungethrough AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] newbee question: queen cell in a new hive?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone!

My workers are making/tending a queen cell right in the middle of one of the
middle frames in my 3-week-old hive. There is only one. Should I be concerned
about this? Obviously my queen is laying, there's tons of brood at different
stages. Could they have decided they need a new queen anyway, or should I
worry about swarming? They haven't even finished drawing comb on 2-3 of the
outside frames, so it seems like they have plenty of room to grow.

Thanks a million,

Robin