ocba - [ocba] Learning process?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Learning process?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:46:52 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

Some of you might recall I was looking for a queen on Friday April
20th. Installed her and the bees did not seem to notice. Poked the
candy and hoped they would help her out. On Monday April 23th I
helped her out of the cage, no fan fare from the bees, I wondered.
Today I pulled a frame to see if the queen was laying. I found a
nice small section of capped worker brood and a small bit of
larva. I'm assuming my bees made a queen and it took longer than
35 days(we did the split on March 15th) for her to start laying?
There is no way I could have capped brood after 5 days of
releasing this queen?

Of course I realized this after installing a new queen to the huge
cut out hive I started 3 weeks ago. All the brood have hatched and
they have been busy filling the 17 deep brood combs with honey.
When we did the cut out it had several swarm cells and the very
next day we had a swarm leave this hive. So the new queen is in
there in her box with attendants right now. Should I check to see
if the bees are interested in her?

At least I have something good to report. First I have a friend
who just started his hive today and I'm mentoring him. Second I
did a cut out on Wednesday, found eggs and the queen already. It
gets better, the girl who's house the bees were in told me she was
afraid of the bees and she moved downstairs. Yet she helped me
with the cut out and even helped hive the bees! She's going to
take beekeeping classes and I'm giving her a split next year.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com

  • [ocba] Learning process?, birdcr AT concentric.net, 04/28/2012