ocba - Re: [ocba] newbee question: queen cell in a new hive?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Robyn Holmes <whatbirdsplungethrough AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] newbee question: queen cell in a new hive?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:15:31 -0400

Robyn,

It is not uncommon for packages to try to make their "own" queen. If they've only made one supercedure cell, they may not be all that serious. If it were my hive, I would remove that one cell before it progresses too far and then just keep an eye on things. Most likely you don't have anything to worry about, everything will be fine once the new bees start emerging and the hive starts really rolling. Or not. But that would be my guess.

Randall Austin