ocba - Re: [ocba] What does "Chemical Free" Mean

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: catherinelguerrero AT gmail.com
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: NCBeekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] What does "Chemical Free" Mean
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:00:35 -0500

It seems to me that this is something the group should decide as a starting point. People are trying lots of different things, from applying the CNG standard to going completely treatment free and using management strategies to control mites, etc. I love that experimentation on the way to what i think is a shared goal of less toxic beekeeping, and I would live to see us embrace it.

This group may be an opportunity to "catalogue" approaches as much as pick one as the best. If we do end up with multiple sites, a little compare and contrast might be a great way to build a teaching tool demonstrating multiple approaches. I think it would be great to explore the goals of folks who are headed in this direction and hear more about why they are choosing the strategies they are. That's what has helped me make decisions as I learn. I can understand their context and then figure out what works for mine.

I'm not suggesting we don't define things, just that we not limit ourselves before we get started. This conversation would make a great topic for the first meeting... or two.... :)

Catherine

Sent from my iPhone