ocba - Re: [ocba] Aspiring Beekeeper Looking for Advice on Starter Equipment

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Aspiring Beekeeper Looking for Advice on Starter Equipment
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:38:34 -0500 (EST)

Don't forget Miller. Another NC company.  https://millerbeesupply.com/

On December 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com> wrote:

Don't forget what goes in the equipment --- bees! Most beginners start with package bees which come in the mail. You won't actually get them until mid/late April (if lucky) or May, but package bee suppliers are already taking orders. They usually ship first-come-first-served so ordering at Christmas means you should be near the top of the list for an earlier (versus later) delivery. Just as a reference, Rossman's ( www.gabees.com ) is taking 2012 orders now at $73 per package, which includes an Italian queen. Shipping is extra. There are a lot of suppliers to choose from (see NC Approved Sellers list: http://www.ncagr.gov/plantindustry/plant/apiary/documents/2011PermitToSell.pdf ). But PLEASE don't buy any from areas where African Honey Bees are entrenched, such as Texas (see the map here: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11059&page=6 ). Most folks end up with Georgia package bees, either ordering directly or through Jack Tapp, who brings them up by the truckload. Jack's contact info is under "Busy Bee Apiaries" on the NC Approved Sellers list.

There have been years recently when suppliers sell out quickly. So the smart move is to get your order in early. You can cancel if your circumstances change between now and next spring (sometimes with a nominal cancellation fee --- check with the seller).

FYI, the bee school will wisely recommend that you start with two hives, if possible.

Randall