ocba - [ocba] More on the beetle trap

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] More on the beetle trap
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:45:21 -0500 (CDT)

My board board beetle trap has been installed for 5 days now. I
cleaned it up this morning so I could see future results. Nothing
found in the trap in the hour since I cleaned it up. Below is what
I found in the trap's pan from 5 days.

92 Small Hive Beetles, 4 larva
42 mites, floating and sunken.

I also hand killed about 40 beetles in the empty top feeder since
Tuesday, so 132 dead beetles in all. I'm a little concerned about
finding 42 mites, but have not seen any in the brood or on the
bees. Hoping all those beetles does not mean I have 50,000+ larva
inside the hive.

The hive is full of bees, one deep is slammed full of sugar
syrup/honey. With this I remain optimistic. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com