ocba - Re: [ocba] Top feeder question and hive extraction

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Top feeder question and hive extraction
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:45:53 -0400

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  A strong hive will tear the food up.

Lewis

On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Randall Austin wrote:

Randy,

It sure sounds like you've got a problem! I would check two things:
1) whether the feeder has an actual leak --- if so, fix it somehow (silicon caulk?).
2) whether the feeder is bee-tight, i.e., can "outside" bees get in the feeder? If so you could be feeding every bee in the neighborhood and creating a potentially serious robbing hazard for the hive. The only access to the top feeder should be from the interior of the hive. Don't use an inner cover when you have a top feeder on.

Let us know how things turn out!

Randall