ocba - [ocba] Swimming Pool and Bees Update

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <jldaw AT ehs.unc.edu>, <blair.christian AT gmail.com>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swimming Pool and Bees Update
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:04:20 -0400

Hi,

The good news is that I was able to get the bees attention with the water elements so much so that the South BEELINE to the pool now stops at a large pot with circulating pump and sticks on the surface.  The wading pool worked some to attract bees from the swimming pool.  I baited the water with lemongrass oil and put open feeders next to the water elements.  All this works to a point.  When the weather gets above 95 it seems the swimming pool becomes water source of choice.  I spoke with the pool owner this week and used one of the essential oil sprays (used for clearing supers of bees) along the side of the pool which put the bees in the air.  After 5-10 minutes they returned to take up water.

The bad news is that the owner of the pool believes he has enough other pollinators in his yard and really doesn't want bees in his pool.  He states that covering the pool takes two people and not an option.    He spoke of an addition that can be added to the  circulation system that will keep pool water agitated and it's too expensive.

Following our meeting I decided to move my three bee hives to the Waldorf Farm.  A friend offered the use of her station wagon which works well for the small hive (made up of one super and one hive body).  However, the two larger ones may need to be moved in a truck and need a couple of larger, stronger bodies than mine.  Are there beekeepers in the area with a truck that can assist me in moving the hive from Watters street in Carrboro to the Waldorf farm off of Millhouse Road?  If you can help, please call me at 919 933-9109 (cell)

Thanks for all the suggestions and helpful input around this topic!

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
PO Box 2744
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
919 933-9109