ocba - Re: [ocba] Fall/Spring crops/ground cover for bees?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Daw, Larry (Environment Health & Safety)" <JLDAW AT ehs.unc.edu>
  • To: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fall/Spring crops/ground cover for bees?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:06:45 -0400

Okay.... I admit to just lurking here in the past and active in the Chatham
County club (do I get at least some credit for having some of my colonies in
Orange County?).

I'm not a plant person, but have tried to do a little planting here and there
to help bees and other pollinators.

The attached includes a little information that might be of use. Specific
species are listed on the last page. I don't know to what extent these would
prosper in a partial shade environment, but the list is at least a start.

Seed is expensive. This past spring, I planted about 0.65 acres using this
mix and it was over $300. Good luck.

Larry Daw, L.G.
Geophysicist/Licensed Geologist
Department of Environment, Health & Safety
1120 Estes Drive Extension
Campus Box 1650
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1650
(919) 962-6666