ocba - [ocba] 2nd year question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] 2nd year question
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:54:57 -0400

Hello all,

I have a 2-hive body colony that made it through winter, and I'm wondering if I should feed to get the queen laying. She's there, and I have about 1/2 frame capped brood, and maybe 1/4 frame eggs. I have about 3 frames full of bees during the day. I also have 1 full frame both sides of pollen, and more pollen scattered throughout. And, I have about 4 full frames of capped honey and about 5 more mostly full. That leaves several empty frames also. I reversed the hive bodies, so now that top one has most honey and is about 50 lbs.

So I'm wondering, if I still have honey there from over winter, do I need to feed sugar water? Or pollen substitute? Everything I read says to feed feed feed, but I feelĀ  like I have a lot of honey. I'd like to get some honey this spring and hopefully split the hive, too.

Thanks for your help!

-Alicia

  • [ocba] 2nd year question, Alicia Reenders, 03/13/2011