ocba - Re: [ocba] Problem hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Konrad Catolos <koncat AT nc.rr.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Problem hive
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:04:23 -0400

Tanya,

Your proposal to take a frame or two (with eggs and young larvae) from the good hive and put them in the problem hive is exactly what I would do at this point. So it must be an excellent idea! ; )

Make sure the queen from the good hive isn't riding along on the frame you transfer.

There is no downside to making a transfer like that. If it turns out that your new queen is actually okay but just needed some time to get started, then all you've done by making the transfer is you've boosted the population a little bit. But if the bees have killed the queen you've tried to introduce, they'll immediately start making queen cells with the eggs/young larvae you've transferred. So they'll make a new queen for themselves. No problem. So good things happen either way.

Let us know what happens!

Randall Austin