ocba - Re: [ocba] Too much drone brood?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jennifer Soliman <jennifer.kiefer.soliman AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Too much drone brood?
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 20:16:36 -0400

Jenn,

Is this a new hive started from a package?
Is there also a lot of worker brood?

I've found that a brand new queen will sometimes take a little time to start laying right.If you've got a lot of worker brood (so you know you have a mated laying queen), I would give her a little more time to see if things get sorted out.

If ALL you have is drone brood, then you've got a problem.

Randall Austin