ocba - [ocba] Strange activity with new hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Konrad Catolos <koncat AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Strange activity with new hive
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:37:08 -0400

Hi all,

We are new be keepers and are having "challenges" with our two hives. When we
checked our hives at one week, one looked good with new comb development, but
we didn't put in frame were queen cage was. the other hive looked a little
empty and we were able to get the extra frame in.

1)We just checked them today and found the "empty-ish" hive still pretty much
the same. Some cells had been formed, but nothing capped and not much
activity. No real sign of a queen.

2)The other hive has a problem too. The empty slot is a section of comb
attached to the lid. It comes out when you remove the lid.

3) there is this mini "swam" that has been hanging out on a bench post for
almost two weeks now. Don't see a queen, but she may be underneath.

image/jpg

image/jpg

image/jpg

ANy thoughts? anybody live near 3102 Ridge rd, Durham 27705 and would like to
give us a hand?

thanks,

Konrad

919.389.4301