ocba - Re: [ocba] no queen after installing package

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] no queen after installing package
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:15:21 -0400

Alicia,

"Usually" it takes a fairly long time to get laying workers --- several weeks of queenlessness (and broodlessness) at a minimum, probably longer; it varies. It would seem very strange for you to have them so fast. More likely, you may have a young queen who isn't good at her job yet. Don't be too hasty. If it was my hive, I'd leave them ALONE for another week and then check it out thoroughly to see how things are going.

Just saw where Lewis sent the same answer, so you've got 2 for 2....

Let us know how it turns out.

Randall

Alicia Reenders wrote:
i2nd2235bc1004191516lcddf424bzfbd5f00a8e8726f5 AT mail.gmail.com" type="cite">Hello there beekeepers!

Thanks for being patient with us "newbees" ha ha. But I do have another question. I installed my package last weekend and the bees seemed great. But I think I was too impatient and released my queen after 2 days, thinking I needed to do that. I think the colony rejected her, because I haven't seen her again. I saw eggs for the first time today, day 7 after releasing her into the hive. But almost all the cells have multiple eggs, like 3-4. A few have 1 or 2, but most have more. The bees are collecting pollen and drawing out comb on some of the frames.

So do the multiple eggs mean that I have laying workers? Should I get a new queen as soon as possible? Could I just have a bad laying queen?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks! This is such a great resource, and I hope it isn't a bother cluttering up the listserve with beginner questions.

-Alicia