ocba - Re: [ocba] no queen after installing package

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] no queen after installing package
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:00:06 -0400

Alicia,
This is exactly what the list serve is for so please don't be shy about using it!

First and foremost, don't panic!  We can fix it if it's broke!

I would be surprised to see laying workers develop so fast.  I have seen queens lay a few multiple eggs in cells when they are just getting started.  Hard to say.  I think it would be good for someone with a year or two under their belt to give it a peak and offer an opinion.

Tell us what side of town you live on and let's see if there is someone nearby that can take a gander.

Wikipedia actually has a reasonable article on laying workers here.

Finding a queen right now may be a challenge and even if we did have a queen, requeening isn't a good option for a laying worker hive.

Combining a laying worker hive with a queenright hive has worked for me 100% of the time.

Let's look at it first and determine what's going on and go from there.

Lewis