ocba - Re: [ocba] Larvae Recipes

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Larvae Recipes
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:53:52 -0500

Let's not forget that the Bible tells us that John the Baptist lived on wild honey and locusts when he was in the desert. The Middle Eastern locust is a large grasshopper, _not_ a Cicada, but they are good, too. You have to get them as they emerge before the chitin and wings harden. Lots of recipes on the net. Honey and locusts is a pretty balanced and healthy diet. Honey provides carbs and the locusts provide protein, a little fat, and vitamins. No cholesterol, additives, or residues. In other words, wholly organic.

When I was in Saudi, street vendors selling deep fried "locusts on a skewer were common. About fifty cents/dozen. You discard the spiny rear legs. Pretty good, somewhat like Cheetos but with a nice nutty taste. Also saw comb honey with larvae and pupae. Honey is a luxury item and very expensive

I sent my HS grandsons some larvets and Crickettes. It created a sensation in the lunchroom. The enterprising older one did a composition in English class on insects as a protein source. Went to a local bait shop and made his own Crickettes for a demo. Got an "A+ on the paper but teacher called Mom and asked to be advised in advance of any similar future efforts. Cat liked them, too. Last I heard he was looking into mixing them with mixed nuts at social gatherings and parties.

Might as well make a buck where you can and waxworms are a lot cheaper than Tyson's chicken and don't require illegal immigrant labor.

Tom

Lewis Cauble wrote:
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has some good info on eating insects. They deal mostly with bee brood but also touch on wax moth larvae as well as adult bees.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076E/w0076e19.htm

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076E/w0076e20.htm Section 8.10.12 describes the care and feeding of your wax moth larvae.

I believe drone brood is also used for fish bait