ocba - [ocba] Wax Moth (Galleria Mellonella) Infestation!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Wax Moth (Galleria Mellonella) Infestation!
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:34:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone - we knew that we had a wax moth problem going into the winter back in December, and since our hive was dead and we got busy we never really had a chance to get into our dead hive and take a look. I finally went in this past weekend and took some pics of the wax moth infestation in one of our beehives:

http://www.theocba.org/gallery2/v/Bollinger/waxmoths/

Question - I've been reading that the only way to be certain the moths (of all stages: egg, larval, etc.) is to freeze your frames and hive bodies/supers in a deep freeze for a long period.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can reclaim this hive and start using it again this Spring? Would it be worthwhile to clean up all these frames (about 50) and boxes (2 deep and 3 med. supers) or should I just buy some fresh frames with new foundation? Or barring that, does anyone have a large deep freezer I can occupy briefly? :)

Thanks,
Jeff