ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees in swimming pool

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Peter Smith" <psmith AT leaptec.com>
  • To: "'Orange County, NC Beekeepers'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees in swimming pool
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:15:35 -0400

Hello Group,

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my plea for help with this neighbor-relations problem. The situation is now under control and harmony has been restored.

The steps which I took to get to this point included the following:

  1. Clear communication with the neighbor involved, letting him know I was concerned and doing my best to help solve the problem (even though I was not sure at the time I had a solution). It was somewhat of an educational opportunity for him, though he has in the past attended my honey harvest parties and been fairly well plied with honey over the years.

  2. I purchased a large galvanized tank and half filled it with large river pebbles. Sprinkled with salt and kept it half full of water. I placed it about 50 feet in front of my hives on the flight path towards the swimming pool, and “baited” it with small bits of honey and honey comb for the first few days to get their attention.

  3. Meanwhile, my neighbor had been placing a Citronellla soaked towel over the location of his pool where the bees congregated to discourage them.

I’m now told the bees are no longer at the pool, and intend to keep my “bee-pool” a permanent fixture near my hives.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peter Smith

  • Re: [ocba] Bees in swimming pool, Peter Smith, 07/05/2007