ocba - Re: [ocba] storing supers in the fall/winter

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Stephen Sareny" <ssareny AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] storing supers in the fall/winter
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:00:36 -0400

You can always extract the uncured honey, let the bees clean up the frames as normal and give the bees the uncured honey back.

From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [ocba] storing supers in the fall/winter
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:05:11 -0400

One think that I wish I would have asked at the last meeting was: when
storing supers for the Fall and Winter, what do you do if the frames
have some pollen, brood, honey, and nectar that really shouldn't be
pulled (i.e. the frame isn't 90% covered with capped honey)?

You wouldn't really want to extract the honey that is not ready, but yet
you have to pull off the supers. What is the suggestion?

Also, if you do not have a large freezer and really aren't into the idea
of putting chemicals on our around the supers, would a plastic
bag/plastic wrap be sufficient to protect the supers?

Thanks!
Jeff