nafex - [nafex] My persimmons appear to be breaking the rules

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] My persimmons appear to be breaking the rules
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 15:51:18 -0400

Hi folks,

I have a single /D. virginiana/ (90 chromosome selected variety), Yates, on my property. I have multiple endemic /D. virginiana/ trees that with their small, astringent fruit, I am assuming are all 60 chromosome trees.I have multiple /D. kakis/ (all grafted, fruit bearing trees) that I have planted in my orchard as well.

For the last 2 years, my Yates has produced fruit that contains abundant, full-sized seeds. My understanding is that the endemic 60 chromosome trees will not pollinate the 90 chromosome varieties and produce full-sized viable seeds. However, all my kakis are all presumably ‘females’ as they are grafted, fruit-bearing varieties.
It does not make sense to me given my current understanding of persimmons that my Yates fruit would all be full of seeds. Are the seeds somehow /kaki /x /virginiana/ crosses?

I am not aware of any nonnative persimmons among the neighboring properties within at least 1 mile...

Any thoughts?

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC