nafex - Re: [nafex] [ARTICLE] Interesting tropical fruits and their contents

  • From: Jeffrey Boulier <boulierinasia@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [ARTICLE] Interesting tropical fruits and their contents
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:59:12 +0000 (UTC)

1) Thinking about the wave of human expansion in the Americas (and
elsewhere). I wonder what other large temperate fruits may have been wiped
out by humans after they exploded onto the scene. There should be a list
somewhere, but a brief search of the internet didn't find it?
2) I wonder to what extent there's been positive selection even for wild
apples shaped by human tastes -- I believe Indians rapidly took over as
distributors of pawpaw seeds after coming to the Americas, and were
responsible for a huge expansion in the territory of the American lotus.
3) For that matter, what about current negative selection pressures? The
seeds of particularly large and good tasting wild raspberries in the
proximity of humans are going to disproportionately wind up in the sewage
system instead of being, well, pooped out in more congenial locations as they
might have been in the past.

On Monday, March 16, 2015 10:56 AM, Claude Jolicoeur