nafex - [nafex] Help save the Bees

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Help save the Bees
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:57:39 -0500

Sierra Club

From: Molly Brooksbank, SierraRise
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:00 AM
To: jimfruth@charter.net
Subject: Bees

This could be the biggest threat to bees yet.

Big Ag wants to increase using the poison killing our bees
by up to 4,000%!

If we submit 50,000 comments before the October 6 deadline,
we'll be too loud to ignore -- help save the bees today!

Dear James,

And we thought the bee problem couldn't get any worse.

Over 100,000 SierraRise supporters like you have taken action to
stop “neonics,” the deadly insecticide responsible for killing our bees and
putting our food supply at risk. [1] But now the EPA is actually considering
a request to increase how much of this bee-killing toxin we let into our
environment!

A massive Big Ag company has asked the EPA to let it spray more
neonics than ever before on alfalfa, barley, corn, and wheat -- up to 400
times more! -- no matter how many already-imperiled bees it kills. [2] This
could cripple our food supply.

The EPA is taking public comments on this issue until October 6,
and is required to consider them all. If 50,000 SierraRise supporters speak
out now, it will go a long way towards countering Big Ag's deep pockets!

Help save the bees by submitting your official comment today:
Tell the EPA our food supply matters more than Big Ag's profits! Neonic use
must be banned, not increased!

The company behind this horrible request is Syngenta, a Swiss
biotech corporation that brought in $14.6 billion in 2013 alone. [3] This is
not a company we should trust to put our bees and food supply first: It
spends millions on lobbying to get its way, and a lawsuit filed earlier this
month accuses it of ripping off American farmers. [4,5] Perhaps most damning
of all, it was called out last winter for smearing a research scientist who
discovered problems with its products. [6,7]

We can't let Syngenta win -- already every year, we lose 30% of
our honey bees. [8] This is a big deal because bees help produce every third
bite of food we take. Yet just this past winter alone, states like Michigan
and Indiana lost more than 60% of their bee populations. It's time the EPA
stops the use of neonics altogether -- letting Big Ag double down is the
wrong way to go.

Will you raise your voice for the bees, James? When we stand
together, our voices are too loud to ignore -- take 30 seconds to contact the
EPA now!

In it together,

Molly Brooksbank
SierraRise

P.S. Five signatures are even more powerful than one -- after you
take action, be sure to forward this alert to your friends, family, and
colleagues!