nafex - [nafex] Apios

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Apios
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 17:19:00 -0700 (PDT)

not quite a fruit topic per se, but I'm sure its pertinent to at least some
of you NAFEX'ers. I have long wondered what became of the 40 odd improved
strains of Apios americana (groundnut) from the LSU breeding program. Does
anyone have any of these improved strains, or know of a source for any of
them? The wild ones are so small, its surprising that the larger improved
forms have not been more widely disseminated. From the pictures I have seen,
it seems that yield and harvestibility are dramatically improved. I'd love to
be growing some, but despite years of haphazardly searching, haven't turned
up a source. It sounds like some of the LSU varieties are not suited to
northern regions, while others may be. Anyone have info to share?
thanks,
Devin Smith
Witness Oak Polycultures
Rockingham. VT