nafex - Re: [nafex] keeping apples

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] keeping apples
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:32:14 -0500

Steve,
We've kept apples into April and even a few into May. Cultivars such as
Goldrush and Ark Black are still crisp. As well as a very late ripening,
large green apple from friends (anyone hazard an ID on this?). We keep
the apples and Asian pears in grocery bags, then in cardboard boxes or in
the crisper trays. Perhaps the CO2 builds up in our bags and prevents
spoilage?
We have a chest freezer converted into a frig now, and are eating crisp
apples from there (had one today). Still several bushels there.

Not sure how your setup or your apples differ from ours. But ours aren't
'mush' this time of year.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Maple syrup season here. But was collecting and cooking down sap in shorts
today!