nafex - Re: [nafex] Keeping apples

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Keeping apples
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:29:59 -0600

Jim,
Fellow who used to run a small commercial orchard here had a big walk-in
cooler - but had to keep wet towels over baskets of apples in long-term
storage to keep them from shriveling.
I remember visiting with him at the beginning of a fall apple season, and
having him tell me he had some Arkansas Blacks from the previous year that
were better than they'd even been, but couldn't sell them because his wife
had gotten tired of keeping the towels wet over the summer, and they were
shriveled, and no one would buy them - even though the quality was vastly
superior to what they'd been when they came off the trees almost a year
earlier.

Lucky