nafex - Re: [nafex] Keeping apples

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Keeping apples
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:18:27 -0600

Steve - interesting. We kept several sealed buckets of a few varieties in a friend's commercial cooler. Unfortunately we hadn't aired the buckets out enough, so two varieties we ended up processing soon into chutney due to the pickle flavor being a little too pronounced.

To your point, though - our (non-pickle scented) sealed buckets of Liberty retained their texture marvelously, though it tasted as though they were slowly fermenting. They got to the point around the end of the year where it was hard to eat them because they were so wine-y. Their texture was great though. The other Liberties we stored in open boxes got somewhat shriveled and were much softer, but tasted like I think they should have. It seemed that the buckets were sealed air tight but I cannot say for sure. They did have rubber gaskets and very tight fitting lids that are meant to not leak liquid.

I do have plans to finally put our root cellar into service (with ventilation) for next year.

Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisconsin