nafex - Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?

  • From: Louis Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Is my pecan seedling a hican?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:13:28 -0500

Betsy,
Portions of this area flood perhaps 5-10 times a year, but length of
inundation is only on the order of a few hours to at most a day at a time.
Water comes up quick, and goes down just about as quickly. Mostly just
good well-drained bottomland - the ideal soil for pecans/walnuts.

We were in a targeted watershed, and at the time I thought it was certain
that at some point we'd be mandated to fence cattle (or crops) back from
the creekbanks, so I decided to chase some pretty good 'givernment $$' -
and capitalize on a good bottomland site for planting pecans/walnuts. CRP
contract expired 5 years ago, and I still exclude the cows from this area -
but trees are big enough that the cows don't pose a problem, and we'll
probably erect some fences along the top of the creekbanks - cows still
won't be allowed in the creek, but will be allowed to 'flash-graze' the
bufferstrip area several times during the grazing season (Feb-Oct). Dr.
Karen Hoffman has shown significant benefits to wildlife habitat and water
quality with properly-managed riparian grazing in that manner - far better
than just planting grass and mowing once a year.

Kanza X Pawnee...could be a home run!

LLP