nafex - Re: [nafex] Imidan

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Imidan
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:29:49 -0500

On 7/25/2013 12:36 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:
I don't know that you need to be dressing like an astronaut- that would
scare your neighbors and probably doesn't really make any significant
difference in your overall exposure to possible cancer causing compounds.
The label just calls for long pants, shirt, glasses hat and boots. If you
put a cotton jumpsuit over normal clothes and wrap a t-shirt around your
neck and some of your face you'll keep most of it off you.
I was kidding, a bit. I think a breather mask is more important
than the clothing coverage, but both are a good idea.

There are so many avenues in modern life for absorption of synthetic and
natural compounds with similar danger that I believe it is completely
illogical the way so many people focus on agricultural compounds.

I've seen a couple of quite large epidemiological studies comparing the
overall health of farmer-spray applicators (both in Canada and the U. S.)
and the farmers live longer and healthier with less overall cancer than the
average citizen. Many of these farmers spend a sizable part of the growing
season on open tractors pulling mist-blowers- which means they are living
in a fog of these types of chemicals for a significant percentage of their
lives. They are also exposed to a lot of chemical volatiles known to
induce cancer in rats.
I have not seen these kinds of studies, so I can't comment
on them. Farmers may be living longer because of their
activity and outdoor living. This can skew the results of
their susceptibility to chemical spraying. To be scientific
about this, a more controlled study is called for, monitoring
identical kinds of groups, with and without protective gear.

In general, I think it would be helpful for Nafex members to
identify themselves as large scale growers. Their use of
chemicals and other techniques do not necessarily pertain
to the backyard grower.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL

The danger of conventional farming and some of the chemicals involved is
more to the environment than directly to human health IMO.
message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites: