nafex - [nafex] Imidan

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Imidan
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:36:03 -0400

Sherwin, I agree that Imidan is a relatively safe pesticide- it is merely
rated a suspected carcinogen (that's pretty tepid) and rotenone has more
clear research indicating hazards to health, IMO.

I don't know that you need to be dressing like an astronaut- that would
scare your neighbors and probably doesn't really make any significant
difference in your overall exposure to possible cancer causing compounds.
The label just calls for long pants, shirt, glasses hat and boots. If you
put a cotton jumpsuit over normal clothes and wrap a t-shirt around your
neck and some of your face you'll keep most of it off you.

There are so many avenues in modern life for absorption of synthetic and
natural compounds with similar danger that I believe it is completely
illogical the way so many people focus on agricultural compounds.

I've seen a couple of quite large epidemiological studies comparing the
overall health of farmer-spray applicators (both in Canada and the U. S.)
and the farmers live longer and healthier with less overall cancer than the
average citizen. Many of these farmers spend a sizable part of the growing
season on open tractors pulling mist-blowers- which means they are living
in a fog of these types of chemicals for a significant percentage of their
lives. They are also exposed to a lot of chemical volatiles known to
induce cancer in rats.

The danger of conventional farming and some of the chemicals involved is
more to the environment than directly to human health IMO.