nafex - Re: [nafex] Kokuso mulberry (thread was Morus nigra)

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kokuso mulberry (thread was Morus nigra)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 18:53:19 +0000

Thanks so much for the additional useful info on these 2 Kokuso cultivars. I
did not have the data from the repository's database when I sent my message.
And by quoting your website I did not in any way intend to criticize it.
Many websites have only a skeletal description and at least yours had more
"meat" to it.

I'm a great admirer and fan of mulberries. In west-central Kansas where I
grew up it was one of the few fruit trees that produced reliably most years.
We used M. alba seedlings in shelterbelts and had three older trees, on the
north side of a henhouse that produced loads of really good, sweet fruit, one
bore rosy lavender fruit and the other two dark purple fruit. I think they
benefited considerable from the runoff of the henhouse roof because their
fruits were always extra large and luscious. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul,
Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4a)