nafex - [nafex] Kokuso mulberry (thread was Morus nigra)

  • From: "England's Orchard and Nursery" <nuttrees@prtcnet.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Nature and Nurture" <mike@natureandnurture.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Kokuso mulberry (thread was Morus nigra)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 19:59:27 -0400

The entire chain of events went like this

In 1998 I received Kokuso 20 and 21 from Korea both was grafted and grown
out Kokuso 20 is the fruit that is sold in the USA however Kokuso 21 was a
small fruit , tree was not vigorous and lacked taste quality and was cut out
and we no longer have it growing.

How it was released to the nursery trade in the USA

In 2004 I was activated for active duty ARMY for a tour in Iraq we
skills that was needed in the Northern part of Iraq.

I had hundreds of Grafted Kokuso so I made a deal with Lucile Whitman of
Whitman Farms in Oregon to take the majority of the smaller tree Whitman
Farms is a Wholesale distributor of Nursery Stock on the west coast so the
new introduction was born.

Now Sam Benowitz ( Raintree Nursery ) Burnt Ridge and many other got
there trees or at least a start of them from US so if there has been some
mix up it is not us distributing them..

Actually Michael Dolin of Burnt Ridge has it correct. It is hardy here
down to -12 I know it does ripen before Illnions Ever bearing is Much larger
and taste 10 times better and does not turn red so that it does not attached
the birds like other mulberries the fruit turns from white to lavender to a
deep purple and is at out farm grafted to 3 trees on 2 different farms and
is grafted about 5 feet high in all 3 cases and the trees after about 15
year or only about 10 to 12 feet tall while I have an ILL. Ever bearing that
is about 7 year old that is 25 feet tall same soil within 50 feet of each
other so you can decide for you self to me it is one of the top 5 berries
that I have tasted in the world but I have not tried KIM yet so Some berry
may get bumped of the top 5 list.

I would not say the Kokuso is Hardier than ILL EB but it is late
vegetating and that does matter as well as everything we grow we select for
late vegetating characteristics.

Hope this clears thing up a bit.

Cliff

with some nurseries claiming it is more hardy than some well-known hardy
cultivars. For example, Burnt Ridge Nursery says: "Dark fruited Korean
variety. Earlier ripening than Illinois [Everbearing] with very high quality
firm fruit. Reportedly even hardier than Illinois Everbearing and grown even
farther North, up into Minnesota."

I would guess that the Kokuso cultivar being propagated in the USA is Kokuso
20,

Thank you

Kumme and Clifford England

England's Orchard and Nursery