nafex - [nafex] wineberry

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] wineberry
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:21:12 -0400

When I arrived in my Z6 in southeastern NY my site was on the cusp of 5 and
Wineberry was further south in Westchester county. Of course it is
invasive and now it's moving up north, probably because of warming weather-
it the last 10 years it has become common in my neighborhood.

People may dislike its invasive quality but I'm sure the wildlife welcomes
it as there are few species that are as productive as this one in near
complete shade. Even the fruit tastes better from plants not in full sun.
Squirrels really love them. I consider them worthwhile as human forage
fruit but not really worth gathering basketsfull. Others love them and use
them for baking "wine" and anything you'd do with raspberries. Beats
barberry, anyway.

  • [nafex] wineberry, Alan Haigh, 03/26/2013