nafex - Re: [nafex] Rubus phoenicolasius (Japanese Wineberry, Wineberry, or Wi ne Raspberry)

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rubus phoenicolasius (Japanese Wineberry, Wineberry, or Wi ne Raspberry)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:22:05 GMT

Larry,My experience is many years ago, growing up in SE Penna. They are
tasty fresh, and tasteless cooked. They are protected until a few days
before ripe, so the birds can still get to them. Is it more invasive than
other wild berries? Well, it isn't 'wild', it's feral. Thirty years ago, it
was only present as scattered plants in the woods. Now, I believe there's
more of it. As climate and even the air changes, the behavior of plants
changes, and it is certainly capable of moving into natural areas. As
Michael pointed out, birds love them. And when birds love a berry like this,
they move the seeds off to the next place they fly and deposit them in a
convenient packet of manure. If you plant them and want to keep them from
invading other places, you had better net them (my bias is as the chief
grower at a native plant nursery). If you will be netting them, you may as
well grow raspberries or something else that comes unprotected. They have
been outlawed in Wisconsin, and personally I'm glad. We have way too many
thorny invasives to deal with as it is. Draw your own conclusions.Muffy
BarrettSouthern Wisconsin,where there is still snow, although less of it.