nafex - Re: [nafex] [nafex) nonblooming 45 yr old citrus

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [nafex) nonblooming 45 yr old citrus
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:08:52 -0600

John, Many citrus varieties are prone to having nucellar clones in their. The clone rate varies from 99% down to 0%. If you got a true zygotic seedling, one that just has no intention of cropping, you may never get blooms. Or in your far northern location it might take another 20-40 years. I suspect your mom got a clone of the parent tree, which after all, would have been selected because it fed people. You might still want to graft yours, or as I mentioned, ring it. Certainly it wouldn't hurt to drop the temp, but I don't know if that would stimulate blooming. Do you give it fertilizer? 6-6-6 might prevent it from blooming forever. 10-20-10 might change it's attitude. Donna