nafex - Re: [nafex] Tropical fruits suitable for container-culture

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Tropical fruits suitable for container-culture
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 11:01:25 -0600

Steve,
I missed where you are. True tropicals hate to get below 50 degrees F, so they could be very expensive to take through a northern winter. Subtropicals tend to not mind so long as they don't actually freeze to death, which tends to be a little below freezing for them. Also, some of your subtropicals that are short season croppers, like Satsumas or Mexican avocados, can get most of their heat units and sunshine outdoors or at least free in your greenhouse in the summer months. Lemons and limes are kind of oddballs, they don't mind too much as long at they are above freezing, and they will do their stuff at coolish temps when hardier types of citrus have sensibly gone dormant. If all you want is ornamentals, that's very different from wanting things to crop. for crops, you will have to pick and choose a few things carefully.
I had someone call me once who obviously had money to burn, and had a greenhouse built over his swimming pool up in Chicago, he had palms and navel oranges in the ground and the oranges cropped. (Navels, not my first choice, too prone to drop if things get hot and dry, something will seeds will hold fruit better.) He wanted to know what he could do about spider mites. I asked the temp, it was 85F in his greenhouse in the dead of winter!!! I said drop the temp, drop it down to 40-50F. He was horrified, convinced his trees would die. I just laughed, as cabbage palms like he has will grow up to about the GA border. Obviously he couldn't spray pesticides. I guess nowadays I'd recommend Safer soap, but the temp is what had me freaked out. I'm no expert on pesticides, I like to just get things alive through the winter and then let the ecosystem deal with pests. Spider mites like heat, I know because I've never seen them in Tenn, only Florida. Donna