nafex - [nafex] potted subtropicals--my 2 cents

  • From: Scott Breneman <sbreneman@yourgoodwill.org>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] potted subtropicals--my 2 cents
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:05:14 +0000

When I first got the fruit bug I tried to grow everything. (including
planting non-viable embryos from grocery store bananas)

After a decade of wins and losses I conclude that I'm only going grow potted
subtropicals which are fairly likely to fruit and whose fruit is not readily
available at the store for a dollar :-)

the winners:
kumquats
Meyer lemons
pomegranate (but cheap at the store)
so called condo mango
guava
loquat--beautiful, tasty fruit, cold hardiness.

The maybe:
condo mango (haven't had a fruit grow to ripeness yet)
white sapote 10 years and no flowers or fruit (but a half-cord of firewood
pruned off it...;-0)
jaboticaba --beautiful exfoliating bark and lovely foliage. No flowers or
fruit yet.
bananas--beautiful, impressive, but never fruited yet for me.
cherimoya-- 8 years, no fruit, pollination assistance required

Not worth it (to me)
citrus I can get at the store
true tropicals--they die when chilly or looked at crossly.
strawberry guava--not tasty
pineapple guava--never fruited.
pineapple--too easy to lose an eye and excellent large fruit at the store.

Scott