nafex - Re: [nafex] [nafex) Olives, Fringetree, swamp privet anyone?

  • From: Louis Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [nafex) Olives, Fringetree, swamp privet anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:45:36 -0600

Donna,
I know Chionanthus is *supposed* to be monoecious - but my solitary tree
makes fruit most years - and the only other plant that I know of in the
neighborhood is easily 2 miles away, as the crow flies.
Received mine in a trade with someone in FL - can send scions if you want
'em, for genetic diversity, but you may or may not want 'Southern'
germplasm.

I've never had any success getting fruits from mine (or another bagful that
somebody sent me one time) to germinate.
Somebody sent me some seed, several years ago, that were supposed to be the
Oriental species, C.retusus; I thought the seeds were a little small - and
looked vaguely familiar - when I planted them. Got close to 100%
germination, and something just never looked right about 'em - leaf/bud
shape was not right. About the second season, it struck me, when they put
on a fantastic fall color display - they were blackgum (Nyssa sylvatica)
seedlings.
Nice, in their own right, but not what I was hoping for at the time.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY