nafex - Re: [nafex] Saskatoons (A. alnifolia) varieties for the warmer regions

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Saskatoons (A. alnifolia) varieties for the warmer regions
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 11:36:59 -0600

Lucky sent me 2 little starts of Timm x Success about 8 years ago. They have done pretty well considering where they are, and have cropped for several years. The flowers are different from the local species, not as showy, rather downy looking, and earlier to bloom. They never had a hint of rust till this past year, when some berries had rust. The native bushes do poorly, when they do have berries they often lose the entire lot to horrible masses of rust. Like so many successful pests, rust doesn't hurt the trees, merely destroys the fruit. I've found one bush that has very small berries and almost no rust on them.
Any of you who remember my Red Clay Blues article will be amused to hear that my husband came across the statement that The Highland Rim has the worst soil in Tennessee. Just my luck. But I had kind of figured that out by now anyway. Still better than Florida sugar sand though, as given enough organic matter and extra minerals, it will grow garden veggies and pears, hazels, blueberries and blackberries. The Micromalus apple rootstocks are still holding up to their reputation for tasting bad to voles. I lost 2 big rabbiteyes, one each of the last 2 winters. When I called David Lockwood, UT's horticulture expert, he asked if it could be voles. So I've pulled a lot of pine branches etc out of the blueberry patch. Donna