nafex - Re: [nafex] keepsake apples

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] keepsake apples
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 08:48:43 -0500

We had our first few keepsake apples this year - I believe the trees are in their 3rd year, but on larger rootstock (MM.106 I think). Their flavor I would rate as quite good (one of the better ones we grow), crisp flesh, thin skin. It's a typical, but not heavily marketed apple in these parts, probably because it's one of the later season apples. It's also a fairly good keeper - good for at least 3 months or more. Every year when I get to the season for keepsakes I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Anton Ptak
Zone 4a W. Wisconsin